By Jonathan Marshall
PG&E’s energy-efficiency programs have taken top honors in a national listing of “exemplary” programs announced by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE), a leading national organization dedicated to advancing energy efficiency policies, programs, technologies, investments, and behaviors.
Six of the utility’s programs were named as “exemplary,” and a seventh earned an honorable mention, for their “effectiveness and innovation in helping customers achieve greater levels of energy efficiency in their homes, businesses, and industries.”
“These programs are delivering energy savings that are critical in helping customers reduce their energy costs, plus they make an important environmental contribution by reducing pollution from the use of fossil fuels,” noted ACEEE Utilities Program Director Dan York.
“I am so proud of the team to see our programs recognized for their exemplary ability to save energy and save our customers money,” said Jan Berman, PG&E’s senior director in charge of energy efficiency strategy and market development.
Berman was on hand to receive the awards and address ACEEE’s Market Transformation Symposium in Washington, D.C. on innovative ways in which PG&E is building stronger customer and supplier support for energy-efficient programs and solutions.
The PG&E programs honored include:
- Residential Upstream Lighting – a proven program to lower the cost of efficient lighting products sold by more than 20 manufacturers and retailers at more than 1,300 locations.
- Industrial Recommissioning Program – implemented by Nexant, Inc., it provides audits and incentives to help industries revamp their equipment and processes to save up to 15 percent of their total energy bill.
- Retail Strategy Initiative – a strategic partnership with five large retailers aimed at increasing purchases of energy -efficient products through innovative, collaborative outreach and education.
- LED Accelerator – Implemented by Energy Solutions, this program works with manufacturers to incent large multi-site commercial businesses to replace conventioning lighting with efficient, long-lasting LED products.
- Distributor Channel Engagement – through partner Energy Solutions, PG&E engages the HVAC market to significantly increase the sale and stocking of high efficiency HVAC equipment for commercial installation.
- Non-residential On-Bill Financing let customers finance approved facilities improvements interest-free through their utility bills.
PG&E’s Fresno Energy Watch won Honorable Mention for assisting homes, small businesses, and local government buildings invest about $2 million last year in energy-efficient audits and upgrades.
PG&E received the awards individually and together with partners, including Nexant, Energy Solutions, Fresno Energy Watch, and in one case, its fellow California electric utilities, Southern California Edison and San Diego Gas & Electric.
Email Jonathan Marshall at email@example.com.