PG&E is urging customers to conserve electricity in response to a Flex Alert called for today (Feb. 6) from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. by the California Independent System Operator Corporation, which manages the state’s power grid.
A Flex Alert is an urgent call to immediately conserve electricity and shift demand to off-peak hours to ease strain on the grid. Extreme cold weather in much of the United States and Canada created a natural gas shortage, which is now impacting fuel supplies to Southern California power plants and reducing electricity generation.
While Southern California power plants are currently the only ones impacted, statewide electricity and gas conservation will help ensure adequate energy supplies for Southern Californians.
PG&E encourages customers to follow these simple conservation tips:
- Avoid using electrical appliances and devices. Put off tasks like vacuuming, laundry, dish washing and computer time until after 7 p.m.
- If you have a pool, set your pump to run overnight instead of during the day.
- Saving water saves energy.
- Turn down or turn off heater, health permitting.
- Turn off unneeded lights.